Saturday, March 11, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: March 6th 06 to March 10th 06




Hi All

This week I only managed one lesson which was the Warriors Eskrima lesson on Friday.
However I enjoyed the blogs of my Lun, Chris and LGM Chris to keep me in the Martial Art world..virtually.

I have also noticed Steve Powell has updated his site too and it looks great.

My brother returned from Canada, he showed me some pressure point moves from a lesson he took while in Canada. You can read more by clicking on his link. I showed him some stuff from the Karl Tanswell lessons I learnt last week. It’s cool to have my brother back.

Well on my sick days off, I edited some of my DVD that I am doing for my Warriors Class. It looks rather cool if I say so myself..:-)! Actually I have a lot of footage of the guys sparring semi contact with us wearing fencing masks, a heck of a lot of techniques and other drills involving double stick, single stick and knife. I am considering putting commentary on it.

While watching some of the footage I was also trying to pick out some of my bad techniques during sparring (an advantage of filming) as sometimes you need another perspective on your performance. This is quite beneficial to the Martial Artist but then again if you have good instructors (which I do) then they can offer this perspective. However filming yourself practicing at home is useful when there is no one there to critique you.

It’s cool that one of the instructors responsible for re-kick starting my brother and mine’s Martial Arts interest, Bob Melia has joined the FlowDrills Forum . Anyone can join the FlowDrills Forum , it was created by our instructor Simon Campion and fellow Eskrima Martial Artist Mike and I helped build it. Although the intention to have anyone join and start talking has become a bit of private message board for Warriors Eskrima. However anyone free to come in and make a comment or post a topic. It is good to have someone like Bob Melia.

I recovered from my chest infection on Thursday (although not fully recovered) I returned to work.

On Friday I went to Warriors Eskrima class. my first Martial Art lesson for about a week. Simon laid out some sticks in the shape of a 2 sided triangle…just the diagonal sides if that makes sense! This was to practice foot work. I really do think good stance and footwork is so important in all Martial Arts, to have good technique you need a good strong base first. If I ever do become an instructor, I would emphasis a lot on footwork.

We also did free style stick sparring of palakaw varying the intensity. We practiced the crashing in but aimed shots to the head with the fencing masks and we sparred. I didn’t last too long in my sparring as my cough from my chest infection came back so I filmed the other guys spar instead but I got to teach some basic numerada strikes to a newer student although very briefly though, I also talk about a little history of eskrima sticks, the knowledge of this, courtesy all the great instruction I had over the years from all the instructors mentioned in my Martial Art links.

Again enjoy the pics as always and thanks for reading, its time for me to do some heavy training next week with hopefully a clean bill of health!

Kit

7 comments:

Lun said...

Ooo Nice pics! Take it easy, illness always takes its toll at ANY time of year. We have alot to do this year. The eskrima class is looking more like an eskrima class and not a pot pourri of martial arts!
Looking forward to getting back to Steves and Karls!

Kit said...

Thanks Lun!
Yes it will be cool!
We have to plan for the months ahead

Anonymous said...

Alright Dude!
Glad you're feeling better again and are heading back to training! I think the mentality is an important aspect of being a martial artist, and you show true dedication to your art in what you do. Respect man!

Anonymous said...

hey
glad to hear you are feeling better- and back into training.
not much else to add, but i am looking forward to seeing you guys again at steve's
keep up the good blogging.
laters

Anonymous said...

hey kit!
nice to see you at steve's tonight!
yeah- steve's site looks really good now, doesnt it!
i havent looked at all of it yet, but the techniques page is calling me, hehehe
a commentary over your dvd might be good- unless there is any instruction on there already, it can only add- as ppl can just turn the sound off if they dont want to listen.
it would be really cool to be able to put a dvd together like that- i just dont really have a lot of subject matter to use, hehehe just pipedreaming, and getting distracted by technology- i guess if it is really working properly, technology should be there when you need it and small enough to hide away when you dont.

Anonymous said...

hey kit!
nice to see you at steve's tonight!
yeah- steve's site looks really good now, doesnt it!
i havent looked at all of it yet, but the techniques page is calling me, hehehe
a commentary over your dvd might be good- unless there is any instruction on there already, it can only add- as ppl can just turn the sound off if they dont want to listen.
it would be really cool to be able to put a dvd together like that- i just dont really have a lot of subject matter to use, hehehe just pipedreaming, and getting distracted by technology- i guess if it is really working properly, technology should be there when you need it and small enough to hide away when you dont.
aah footwork- you didi the triangle patterns at your eskrima class... i should do that every day- my footwork is a really bad element of my martial arts in general- my stickwork suffers for it, and my empty hand too- the footwork is really important- like you say. it is the base for everything else...
now lets see if i get out of bed and go- ok time for footwork...

well, here's to living in hope- i will see you sometime soon, hope you enjoyed the session at steve's tonight!

Lun said...

another great session tonight..wonder how we can translate the choshin ideas into sparring for eskrima....?