Saturday, June 03, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: May 29th till June 2nd



Hi All!

I trained only once this week as my girlfriend Elaine came up to visit over the weekend…however that didn’t really stop training completely as she showed some interest in learning some stuff!

I taught some basic jab, cross and hook punching drills. She was quite good at it; I am not saying that because she is my girlfriend, I thought she picked it up quite well. I told her to do some shadow boxing so she could practice at home.

We went to the Lake District in Cumbria (pictured) and Manchester’s Lyme Park and therefore had had some great walks. I think I said this in one of my previous posts but England really does have some beautiful places. It was great going to those places with Elaine.

Wednesday Lunand I went to Karl Tanswell’s Straight Blast gym. Great work out did some stand up wrestling into a take down. It was interesting stuff and a great workout. I will hopefully get back to Steve Powell’s JKD Class soon as well. We were planning on Wednesday after Karl’s but ultimately went home. Is this a lull in training?

No I want to continue consistently in everything as does my brother because he showed an interest in doing the great Manchester run next year. Therefore we both need to prepare for that one. I have raised over £328 for Marie Curie Cancer Care. I would like to once again thank everyone who donated.

Friday was Warriors Eskrima day!
William (who has his own webpage in Spanish), Paul B and Gaz all attended! Lun and Simon were mainly teaching them as Paul Hinds brought along a female work colleague called Lisa who I mainly trained as I taught her some basic weapon movements from scratch. As Paul Hinds trained with Ray, I taught Lisa some basic strikes and disarms.

She is the first girl to join our class; it was interesting as I learnt today that the way women train is different to how men train. This is because mainly that their body type being different so they may have to adjust when doing certain moves. She picked up some moves quite quickly however and she is also doing a kick boxing/Thai Boxing hybrid whose instructor was taught by Master Sken.

I think however Lun and I may have to design a special intro class for all first timers. This will cover a lot of basics so they can be able to join the rest of the beginners the following week if they choose to come back.

Anyway it was great to see Gaz, Paul B and William return, I hope they all get to do their respective gradings. Along with Lisa that was four beginners tonight. They all seemed to train hard tonight and all showed great interest.

Congratulations to Chris for a successful demo of his class. LGM assisted him in the demo which I heard attracted a lot of interest.

Anyway enjoy the pictures (mainly of the beginners in Warriors Eskrima!) and thanks for reading!
Kit

4 comments:

Lun said...

ooo well done bro! thats a nice wad of cash for your chosen charity. and it was a great class tonight.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your class is slowly growing.. the demo did indeed go well, unfortunately the class isnt particularly well advertised within the club itself. I will just have to keep trying to spread the word :)

Kit said...

Thanks Lun for the comments,hopefully we can top that class with tonights
kit

Kit said...

Thanks Chris
I am glad your demo went well but I am sad to hear that they didn't advertise your club well. I hope you have sorted it out with them but I am sure you could take your talents elsewhere if they are being funny with you!
Kit