Friday, July 21, 2023

Well, do you want to start Karate?

As a Dad, there is a natural worry for your kids. You see them watch TV and play video games, and think to yourself, I really need them to do something. This year it's been a breakthrough year for my eldest kids 8 and 6. They started to learn piano, one is in the chess club at school, the other Yoga...but something was missing. Then the Red Tiger Karate club came to their school to do a demonstration.

"Dad! Dad! there were karate people kicking each other today" said Ava(my daughter)

"Yeah I saw it too!" said Leon (my son)

and before they could say anymore I asked(rather quickly) "Well, do you want to start Karate?"

"YAY" shouted Ava

"I think so?" said Leon

"Well lets do this!" I said excitedly

Red Tiger Karate are a Greater Manchester based Shotokan Karate club. They have over thirty schools around the North West area. I knew they were a good school because ironically I used to work with someone who is one of the chief instructors of the organisation (but not the one we attend), Sensi Mike Beckwith, this was back in the early 2000's and I just remembered him as a friendly approachable person with no ego. Along with the kids liking the demo and Sensi Mike, it felt like a good place.

As the first class started at 6pm on a Monday, we needed the kids to have an early meal before class but also nothing to heavy! So supper times on Karate days are usually quite early to give the kids time to digest. The first class consisted of mainly children from my kid's school and other children. There was a warm up and some basic kicking and punching but also fun sporting games that the kids would compete in. I have never really experienced a kid's Martial Art class before, when I first started it was me and my brother Lun and a school friend my age, Barkery or some random kid mixed in with the adult class. This was when the great Steve Powell was running his Karate classes in the 80's(who is still teaching to this day). The sporty games(such as trying to get across to the other side of the hall without being tagged with a pad or glove) kept it varied for the kids.

So did the kids enjoy it, yes they loved it, although one comment from my little girl slightly worried me.

"I love it because my friends are here!"

hmm does that mean she would give it up if all her friends give up? This story goes back a few months, so stay tuned for further posts.

When we came home, the kids were still full of energy as they loved the lessson. So I did one thing any Dad would do, as well as going over what they learnt, I put on the original Karate Kid on Netflix for them to watch(obviously the end tournament scene)

"Why did he tell Johnny to sweep the leg?" asked Leon

Looks like I will need to show them the whole thing and the whole Cobra Kai series one day.

How did it feel being an ex-Martial Artist watching their children practice? pretty good really, I have seen techniques that I have done before and I can see where my kids need to improve.

However, how did it feel for a Dad to see their kids take up Martial Arts? pretty damn proud. Like I mentioned earlier, I will have lots more content around my kids lessons and the experience of being a Dad with kids who practice Martial Arts and then finally catch up to present day where it becomes like a weekly journal.

Like the old days but this time with my kids. Thanks for reading!