Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My week in Martial Arts: Sept 19th to Sept 24th





"If we don't go tonight then I won't get to train for at least two weeks"Lun explained when we just finished a session in the gym.
Mondays is usually our heavy set in the gym day but as my brother had to go London with work this week we went to Karl Tanswell gym on Monday.
"Lead with your hip" we were practicing punching combinations and I wasn't leading with my hip while throwing my punches. Jab,hook,cross in different variations moving dynamically around the gym.

We ended the night with sparring, this was of course is a beginners class at Karl’s as my brother and I only recently started. "Switch bodies!” is the command whereby we have to change partners to spar. This was sparring punches towards the head with gloves and head guards. I haven't sparred like that in a while (only sparring with soft sticks and only the occasional head guard was required) My opponent could have taken my head off several times during the sparring but pulled his crosses and had great control, when I had him in the same predicament I did the same, as Rage Against The Machine's "Killing in the name" blazed through the background you think that the both of us would go all out guns a blazing but while we were intense in movement we were relaxed in control. In fact the whole use of music at Karl’s is great, a few jazzy numbers while doing our drills and then when it got more intense the music was cranked up to Rage Against the Machine. One of my favourite bands

"Tell Danny I can't book the court because its freshers week" said Simon my Eskrima instructor and fellow Capoeira player. Freshers week is the first week of University in the UK and therefore all of the squash courts have been booked by students. We practice Capoeira in these squash courts every Tuesday with our instructor Danny Henry. That’s the third week in a row that I have missed it

Wednesday I went to Karl Tanswell's without my brother who was in London. I saw a good friend of mine, Andrew Timmins (better known as Timmins) participate the Vale Tudo class before my class, it looked intense and very athletic.

It was mainly Thai pad drills tonight jab, hook, knee we then did a take down I haven't done before. I had a good partner who was guiding me how to to do it right.
The one thing I got to learn when sparring/partnering with someone new is to learn to relax sometimes I can be to tense/stiff and on more than one occasion I have been told to relax by training partners. I found relaxing the muscles benefited me more as it helps me with my form.)

Friday was Eskrima day. It was a jam packed lesson. In the early days Eskrima for us was based more on technique but now its all out sparring and very aerobic which is great. We did four on one disarms where one of us had to go in the middle while the others attacked.


Stick sparring into stick grappling and what I call the stick assault course where three to four of us are lined up with sticks while the remaining students had to get pass us.
As regards to stick grappling again when I feel relaxed I find I can get out of moves when I am in trouble,when I am tense I struggle against myself.
I filmed the whole thing and will compile another VCD for them.



Please check my new blog links below, in particular my brother’s great Blog which contains a history of what he practiced and A Martial Adventure in Suburbia a really good blog about a Martial Artist trying to balance between the training and home life!



I shall be writing another article soon but please check the blogsite next week for the regular journal. Oh and enjoy the pictures! I shall be posting more pictures soon and hopefully some classy black and white shots my sister in law was taking of us today!

Thanks again for reading Kit

7 comments:

Airah said...

hey... thanks for linking me up.

I already linked you btw.

You're cool. I like the way you describe your week. God speed.

***HUGS***

Lun said...

Hi Kit,
...we certainly need to work on our sparring!
I am looking forward to fridays class. How is the footage now?
Hi Pia
I am Kit's brother, thanks for adding your comments to his blog!
I think that as you continue your training you will get more conditioning so don't worry too much, relax and don't tense up too much when punching.

Kit said...

Hi Pia
I left this comment on your comments post but posted here as well for the benefit of others
Just want to know what kind of Martial Arts you and your Husband practice?
As for the punching,I think it is because you only have been at it a couple of months. I think you have to get used to the work out as your body gets used to the exercise, but other aerobic exercises such as running,swimming,light weights should help(although not essential).

Please check http://www.mnkali.com/
and go the "extras" section and read articles by some female Martial Artists they are really good. There is an article by an instructor named Sarah Kennedy who talks about training with her husband!

Kit said...

Thanks Ariah for the kind comments.I try to describe my week as best as possible and sometimes can't fit everything in!
Thanks again for the comments and link!
Kit

Kit said...

Christie,
Be my guest I have already linked you
Thanks
Kit

Kit said...

Chris,
Your site was real cool,I have now linked you too!
Kit!

Airah said...

geez. prang napakahirap naman ung gnagawa mo, hnd ba mhrap magpost ng entry pag hnd na fresh ang memory sa utak?? hehe..

ala lng.. nwayz, aun. cge, tnx rin. gudluck in everything you do. ajaaaaa!!

lotd of hugs & kisses,
aiRah