Friday, December 16, 2005

My week in Martial Arts: December 12th to December 16th


Hi All

Yup this week has been a total slacker week for me in terms of attending Martial Art lessons. I had only attended one class on Tuesday. However my brother comes back from California today and I will go through the lessons I had with Karl Tanswell and Warriors Eskrima from last week with him over the weekend.


On Monday I had to sort out a few documents with the car dealership as I was changing my car which prevented me from going to Karl Tanswell’s class . Tuesday though I went to Capoeira. One of the veterans of our class, Ken Pudsey returned. Ken’s another Martial Art nut like me as he does several Martial Arts and I have mentioned him in an earlier post.
Simon came to take some photos which will be posted at some point on the Flowdrills site.


Ken’s reasoning for returning was due to some personal problems and therefore he wanted to do something spontaneous and nothing strict or rigid. Capoeira is a very spontaneous art. Martial Arts in general is a great stress reliever and makes you forget about what problems you have. It builds self confidence and the more Ken does during this time the better.


As for the lesson itself because it was only Ken and I attending we did some advanced stuff, which involved multiple cartwheels into spinning kicks and some defensive manoeuvres. We did one side attacking, one side defending sparring. It was a very good workout and ended with playing the game. It was the last Capoeira class before Christmas.

If you look at the list of Martial Arts I attend which include JKD,Eskrima and Stand Up Fighting, you may find that Capoeira is the odd Martial Art out. The reason I do Capoeira is because it’s a totally different art from the others. There are a lot of great defensive movements and lot of kicks that are not really taught anywhere else. It also keeps me flexible and gives me a chance to learn about another culture.

Well Wednesday was my birthday and I became 29 years of age. On that same day I purchased a new car and went to a Foo Fighters concert. Yes I finally replaced my Vauxhall Corsa (pictured silver car) which I had for five years with a Vaxhall Astra (pictured). I have had many adventures with the Corsa going up and down the UK and it never really broke down on me in the middle of any journeys. The Foo Fighters was an awesome concert (pictured) they entertainingly turned every song they did into great big epics with longer guitar solos and even drum solos. It was a very good day apart from my brother was away but other than that it was cool. Some of their stuff makes great training music as well!


Today Friday I had to pick up my brother so therefore missing Eskrima. However his birthday present to me was an inflatable punch bag! I can’t wait to use it and it will be cool to practice some punching combinations I learnt at Karl's.

I shall try and work on some articles for this journal and hopefully attend more lessons next week!
Enjoy the pictures and thanks for reading!
Kit

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!!! Your training looks like it is going well. Soon everyone will be shut for christmas and we will all have to train alone for a week or so.
Foo Fighters rock man!!! I prefer Rage Against the Machine to train to though. Anyway, hope all is well with you and Lun

Lun said...

Hey brother!
Hope you enjoyed your birthday...I mean, new car, Foo Fighters, punch bag, what more can you want? Though Los Angeles was an experience, albeit working, its GREAT to be HOME!!!

Hey Chris
Hope its all going well, man...I am interested in the Tai Chi you practice, can you let me know some details, please? (lun888@email.com)

Kit said...

Hey Chris
Thanks!Yeah I like to listien to Rage too. Any type of rock or even hip hop is great to train too.
Yup its cool hopefully my bro and I will be back at Steve's come new year!
Kit!

Kit said...

Hello Lun
Yes its great to have you back!
The punch bag is great!Its got a water base though so I hope it doesn't explode one day!See u later!
Kit