Saturday, November 19, 2005

My week in Martial Arts: November 14th to November 18th


Hi All

Sorry I had no mini updates this week, I have been quite busy most of the week and was unable to do so. However I have had a loaded week of Martial Arts so plenty to report this week as I managed to get to Capoeira class, Karl Tanswell’s class ,
Steve Powell’s JKD class with Greg Hall and Warriors Eskrima.

First and foremost I like to pay tribute to Eddie Guerrero a professional wrestler who tragically passed away on Sunday 13th November. He was only 38 and in the prime of his career. A great entertainer and performer, Rest In Peace Eddie Guerrero, you will be missed.

Sunday, my brother and I went to the gym. We did some bench press worked on arms and shoulders. It’s good to do some gym work to kick off the week. We also practiced some Eskrima stick and knife work.

Tuesday I practiced Capoeira, it was a very eventful lesson. Sadly my Eskrima instructor Simon has now left the Capoeira class to concentrate more on Eskrima which is understandable. He turned up to tell Danny in person which was a classy thing to do rather than not show up anymore or tell home over the phone. The class was cool as it was the welcome return for Capoeira player called Bex and we had a new student join us.

Wednesday Lun and I attended Karl Tanswell’s Straight blast gym. Several commands were shouted at ringside by Karl as he was preparing one of his fighters for an up coming MMA event. It was quite an eye opener as we were waiting for our class Karl was preparing several fighters in a fight simulation in the gym’s ring.

The class itself was stand up wrestling. We trained several techniques from a stand up position. At the end of the session we had to outsmart each other at the end by applying all the techniques we learnt. Another great lesson from Karl, it’s cool because it’s all new to Lun and I as we have never trained the way they have before.

We then made the short trip down to Steve Powell’s JKD gym. Greg Hall was taking the class and it was the first time my brother and I have actually trained under him. It was cool that he had told me he also had a look at this blog. Greg’s class was really cool, a mixture of pad work and some grappling. The grappling was Catch as Catch Can style which is very old school grappling but very effective. There was a heck of a lot of new faces in the class as well, so Greg broke down several techniques. This breaking down was good for my brother and I as sometimes I think we need a recap on certain techniques. “Write that I am the best teacher!” laughed Greg after I told him I will write about the class as my brother and I left the gym into the cold winter night. After 2 and a half hours of Martial Arts on Wednesday I was knackered but happy I did both lessons.

Friday was back to Eskrima. We did stick, knife and some empty hand work. It was another fun lesson but a touch anti climatic as my brother and I didn’t seem as focused as we usually were. I also forgot to charge up my digital video camera and therefore I took this week’s photos with my phone.

Well that’s it for this week; hopefully I will get to do some updates during the week and an article.
Take care and keep training
Kit

8 comments:

Lun said...

It was good when Greg broke it down to "learning time" and "training time"! And what he said about learning the body mechanics was very important.

Karl's class was excellent stuff as usual. The stand up class is always hard work. It was exciting to see the fights as well.

Simon again put us through our paces and it was a good way to finish the week in FMA.

Airah said...

whew.. quite long.

but it all became obvious. you're tired & need a bit of rest. come on now. are you planning to exhaust yourself?

lol. anyway, have a great week ahead of you dear. ;p

Lun said...

http://bigwokkerssociety2.blogspot.com/
Have a read of this. How do I link it like what u have done?

Kit said...

I have link your blog now Lun,it looks good

Kit said...

Hi Airah
I am going to take a rest near Christmas!Thanks for your concerns..;)Have you had chance to start any Martial Arts yet?

Take Care!

Lun said...

Thanks my brother!

Anonymous said...

Alright mate! The class was top, as were all of them this week (probably because I wanted to work on my kicks). You definately missed a fun one last night though :) We must have gone on different nights last week, but sure the classes were similar.
Train hard and train safe!

pookiepuff said...

my bf is into martial arts too