Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A lull


Hi All

As this blog is about Martial Arts life and the life of someone who happens to do Martial Arts I thought I write this piece.

Yes I hit a lull, I have not trained in any Martial Arts since Saturday morning(attending the excellent Rick Young seminar at Steve Powell's JKD Chinatown Martial Arts Academy)(Thanks for the additional photo's Steve!) and not exercised since Monday(it was only 25 minutes or so in the gym too). My Mum isn't feeling well, so I have been home most evenings starting from last Friday.

I am taking a day off work tomorrow to take my Mum to see a doctor, family and health is so much more important than work in my opinion. Family first,always first...

Work itself? Demotivating at the moment. Hopefully it will get better and these times of negativity will probably make me a stronger person mentally, so I have heard and read of people in similar situations. But work is also how I make it,so I need to keep fighting my corner and not switch off mentally.

I need to pick myself again,I know some people reading this think "but it was only last Saturday I trained" Well I should be training every day to be honest. My morning routine has stopped. I have broken my own self promise/goal of training every day which is pretty crappy really. I have missed about 5 lessons(potentially 6) in the last 5 days.

But dammit I got a grading in April 9th, I got a charity run in May and I have a new goal which is to attend a Guro Dan Inosanto seminar hopefully this year. Yes I got to train like a maniac for all these things. I need to re-start my own training routine and practice what I know at home. If I am not fit enough to look after my Mum and my Dad for that matter I won't be much use. Time management is key. I shall try and attend Warriors Eskrima on Friday if my Mum is feeling better but as I said family always first.

Lun is working in Canada at the moment please read his blog!

I leave you with a picture of me(pretending to be a tough guy..:)) at Rick Faye's Lake Owen Wisconsin Summer camp almost 4 years ago,one of the catalyst's that began my re-entry into Martial Arts and something to remind myself of a good time in my life.

Keep training all,I am going to restart at home tomorrow!

Feeling motivated after writing
Kit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kit
i am really sorry to hear that your mum is ill. family has to come first, i agree with you about that one- make sure your wellbeing comes second! i know it will be a temptation to throw yourself into things that are not neccesarily the best thing you can do- i think right now (and obviously i dont know you, or what you need) that a little time alone could be a good thing- a little exercise to keep you in the game, and a little time to deal with everything that is on your mind.
i too havent trained since monday- myself for health reasons... i have weakened something in my hip and i dont want to pull it- i think it is better to take a week off than to be out for months... or even worse, cause some long term damage.
back to you- i really hope things turn out right for you- hopefully i will be back next week, and see you sometime then.
good luck kit!

Lun said...

ooo keep up your spirits, martial arts training is not only about hubud, palakaw and focus mitt drills, its a way of dealing with animosities and what life deals to you. if you are not training, don't get yourself down like I do, give your body a rest. last week you trained 5 times in various disciplines, thats enough for an athlete of any kind, so don't worry. keep up ur hindu squats in the morning, eat properly and get plenty of sleep. okayb???

Anonymous said...

I think (once again) Lun has hit the nail on the head. Martial arts is not just about physical training. Sometimes other matters need attending to first. That said, you mentioned "time management" and I believe that to be very important. I feel that without any training you will quickly feel stagnant and really want to do something. Which brings me back to my original point, "training". It comes in many shapes and sizes, sometimes we dont realise it is there at all. Keep on your path, dont give up :)
Ill see you soon, and my thoughts and prayers go to your mother.

Kit said...

Thanks for the comments Chrol(Lgm) and Chris and thanks for the well wishing of my Mum.

Kit said...

Thanks Lun for the advice. I think getting a good nights sleep has helped. I shall restart my hindu squats.

Anonymous said...

:)
i had a hard few days early this week- must have been in the stars...
things seem to be picking up for me, i hope they are for you too.
i will send a good thought your way before i sleep tonight- work n the morning- hope you get a lie-in!!
ps my name links a brutal KO!