Saturday, February 25, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: February 20th 06 to February 24th 06


"The goal of the martial arts is not for the destruction of an opponent, but to be used as a tool for self-growth and self perfection. The practice of a martial art is the practice of love-the love for the preservation of life, the love for the preservation of your body, the love and preservation of your family and friends."

By Dan Inosanto from the book, Absorb What is Useful, Know Now Publishing Co., U.S. (1982)

Those words are very true and it's the kind of path that I hope I am following now.

Indeed this week I have been home in the evenings looking after my Mum. My Mum's health is on the mend but its still inconsistent. Hopefully it will be better this week and I have to be alert and assertive to anything she may need. Lun, thanks for the encouraging words you made in the comments of my last post. Chris and LGM Chris thanks very much for your words too. Hope to see you guys at Steve Powell’s JKD class soon.

I didn't train this week. I read the "Absorb What is Useful" by Dan Inosanto though. It's a very insightful and brilliant book. Within this book you find a reprint of Bruce Lee's 19 page term paper when he was at the University of Washington, theatrical martial arts illustrations,illustrations of classical and non classical techniques and some brilliantly written insight into Jeet Kune Do. I am not sure if this book is in print anymore but this particular copy is very special as it was signed by Dan Inosanto himself to my brother Lun when he went to a seminar in Edinburghburugh almost ten years ago.

After reading about Dan Inosanto and hearing stories from great instructors who trained under him such as Rick Faye and Rick Young, as well as how my brother mentioned how great the seminar was,I would very much like to attend a seminar when he comes to England this year.

I have been lucky enough to attend seminars(in order of meeting them) by Rick Faye, Krishna Godhania ,Samuel Kwok and Carlson Gracie Snr, Larry Hartsell and Rick Young. All have been amazing experiences. My brother has been to more seminars including the one by Dan Inosanto and one by Dan Lee. I will write more in depth about these seminars another time.

It is the love of the art that brought me to these seminars and the amount of Martial Arts I do. I don't do it because "I think wanna crack a few heads" (well living in Manchester UK you need to know to do that anyway!) I do it because of the love of the art as would people would do with their own hobbies and favourite sports.

It was the comments and blogs made by Lun, Chris and Chris LGM that made me think twice as to why I do Martial Arts,it's not the amount of classes I attend, martial arts is a whole way of life and how you can apply it in your daily living.

The grading for Warriors Eskrima is looming. I am going to manage my time next week and train at home and if I can, get some classes in. The picture is the insignia of Warriors Eskrima that I also have as my computer wallpaper at work to keep me motivated!

Thanks for reading
Kit

13 comments:

Lun said...

hello bro
Keep your spirits high. Its good you read Inosanto's book

Anonymous said...

I remember Steve talking to me about how a person can be brilliant at martial arts, in a physical sense. These people may be great at what they do, because they train hard. They dont often have the mentality to be teachers or instructors though, Steve spoke about "ego" alot when referring to these types of people.
I dont think they ever take the martial arts into the other aspects of their life. It is all about "banging heads" as I think you put it. I feel that the physical training is practice for life in the real world. Not only in a fighting sense, but the way that we push ourselves, constantly trying to improve. That is real martial arts. It isnt just a hobby. Its a way of life.

Dont feel like you have strayed off the path, just because the surface of the road has changed

Anonymous said...

lol... cant argue with anything and i dont really have anything to add from myself apart from my best wishes for you and you mum...
so to quote the [translation of]Tao te Ching..

"he who has the least scrap of sense, once he has got started on the great highway, has nothing to fear, so long as he avoids turnings. for great highways are safe and easy."

you are on the highway- just because you are not moving does not mean you are not in the right place.
just dont lose sight of your goals- and why they are your goals...

take care, kit
chris

Kit said...

Hi Lun
Yes take care in Canada my brother we will train again!

Kit said...

Thanks Chris.
Yes I agree its more than just a hobby. I am trying hard to put in all the effort I do in training into the real World and always try my hardest in the things I train in. I think this week without training although comming through circumstances beyond control has given me time to relect and read more and its great that my brother yourself and Chris are giving me these insights.
Chris,I am going to stay on this path and not stray.Thanks for the wisdom.
I really appreciate everything you have been commenting on the blog.

Kit said...

LGM Chris
Thanks for the comments. Again really appreciate them and these kinds of words of motivation that I think people at my work place should also be using.
But if I integrate my Martial Arts into my work and way of life reading these comments would help me stay on the right path.
Thanks
Kit

Anonymous said...

hey!
cheers for the comment- you galvanised me into positve action (*) i hope i can do the same for you.
mine was tai chi, i will not presume to guess what yours may be.
tool in good time- not a thing to rush- in my opinion
take care
Chris

Anonymous said...

No need to thank me. We are all a part of the same family. We need to stand by each other, to stay strong as a group. JKD family man!

Hing Dai!

Anonymous said...

yeah - i feel a bit of a tool for what i said- it wasnt meant that way, but it came across quite preachy...
i hope you didnt take it that way- i am just a student here- trying to learn the same as everyone else, hahaha..
books are dangerous things- just like a little knowledge.
i hope you are well, and thati will see you soon.
Go JKD family!

Airah said...

hey there kit! :)

wow.. did i really read "filipino institue of eskrima"?

hehe.. ;) cool.. anyway, have a nice day!

Kit said...

Chris and LGM Chris
Thanks guys hope to see you both in training,soon I am back training now but waiting for my bro to get back from canada so we could go to Steves!

Kit said...

Hey Airah
Yup you did read that right,I think my particular art is originated/based in Cebu City.
Thanks for reading!
Kit

Anonymous said...

yeah! look forward to seeing you fellas again.
yeah man- our point of view can change every moment, especially if we find out that our husband has won £1,000,000- and tht divorcing him could net us 500 000 quid...
it is a very interesting thing that the guy did- and i do think work is important- you gotta do something!
the other side is that a million quid is not enough for you or me to retire on... it will be enough for them to have a really nice retirement on, but it is all to easy to blow that kind of dough...
well, enough talk about money- thanks for popping onto my space, and i will catch you on the flipside.
PS, chris sent me the link to this page (my name) it is MAD- i think you will appreciate it very much