Saturday, February 04, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: January 30th 06 to February 3rd 06


Hi All

Although we had good week in Martial Arts training, my brother and I were sad to hear the passing of Carlson Gracie Sr who was one of the most prominent figures in Jiu Jitsu and the Martial Arts World. My brother Lun and I were lucky enough to attend a joint seminar with Samuel Kwok that he held in Manchester England 2 years ago.

Ironically I recently mentioned in this entry that we purchased the DVD of the seminar. It was a great experience for my brother and I in our first every BJJ class/seminar to be taught by such a prominent figure. He was very enthusiastic about Martial Arts and although he had limited English he was very friendly and funny. With a couple of assistants and a translator he took the time to oversee and give advice to everyone at the seminar while we were practising including my brother and I. The picture above is from my Carlson Gracie Sr T-shirt that I purchased from the seminar. The Jiu Jitsu and the Martial Arts world has lost another great.

This week my brother and I returned to Karl Tanswell’s Straight Blast Gym. We did a lot of clinch work and defences against the clinch. The defence was when someone was trying to grab your neck but you shrug them off with your shoulder and swat their arm away. There was more to the clinch work as we worked various entries and used the whizzer, which is a defence arm lock\take down type manoeuvre. It was a very good lesson.(The picture shown is clinch work sparring being used in Warriors Eskrima by our instructor Simon and Ray)

Tuesday was Capoeira day. It was cool, we did cartwheel’s over each other and played the game as well as learning kick sequences. We had a small class again Ken was there and a beginner called Pat who usually trains with Kim who couldn't make it.

I suggested to our instructor we print off some leaflets for the beginners. Like a glossary for some of the Capoeira terms as sometimes it’s difficult to pick up the names of the moves. Well I am going to write it out as he asked me to do it. Me and my big mouth….but I shall enjoy writing it and probably have to do some illustrations for the moves.

Again the conversation of Martial Arts popped up at work. I was explaining why I did Eskrima to my most senior manager. “But why Filipino style?” he asked. I told him it was very effective but I also told him that it the Filipino arts are also used in Jeet Kune Do. It’s very interesting when explaining different Martial Arts to the laymen.

Wednesday we were back at Karl Tanswell’s Straight Blast Gym. It was another great lesson as we did some jab, cross and hook combinations and then some stand up wrestling work. It was great workout again.

Again we couldn’t make it to Steve Powell’s JKD class, I have to redouble my efforts to try and get there next week. I feel disappointed that I couldn’t make it this week. I really to practice my punching and start their Eskrima system but the timing has not been good this past week.

Before I forget as I didn’t mention this last week my work colleague Wellington is part of this club and asked me to plug this British stick fighting club. Both are very interesting sites.

Thursday went to the gym did some benching and worked on upper body, we saw Simon Campion and bench pressed with him. My brother and I also practiced some knife work and did some of the stuff from Karl’s. We also spoke to a Chinese guy called Simon who trains there regularly, he was telling us some cool stories of Masters Chu’s lion dance club and the fact that he and two others including his brother were at one time the only 3 Chinese practicing the Chinese art of Lion dancing at that club. In retrospect I wish my brother and I gave that class a try. I do find it sad that there are not a whole lot of British Born Chinese like me are not into Martial Arts these days, considering we all watched a load of cool Hong Kong actions films as kids. There are a few of them like my brother and I, Ray who goes to Eskrima, Wellington and one of the instructors at Karl Tanswell who my brother and I have yet to talk to but I am sure we will one day. Maybe I am wrong but I don’t see other guys carry on like you see some kids who turn into adults still playing five a side football/soccer.




Friday was Warriors Eskrima day. We did a 15 minute warm up work out and Simon wrote a list of exercises for me to practice so I could do it in the morning. During the work out we did press ups, squats and various other warm ups.
My sit ups were pathetic though as I wasn’t doing them fast enough so I need to work on them. We did some stick disarms, locks roof block drills and then we did some single stick sparring techniques. We also did some clinch work and my brother and I knife sparred.

All in all a varied week of training, next week will be one heck of a training week for me as I prepare for the Manchester great run in May I am going to incorporate running training into my work out. Again enjoy the pictures.
Thanks
Kit

10 comments:

Kit said...

test

Lun said...

ooo look at this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4096698654952355459

crap Thai Boxer or very good TaeKwon Do player?

Lun said...

Yes I am very sad about Carlson Gracies Snr's passing. I have updated my blog.

Anonymous said...

hey
i am good, it sounds like you are quuite sad- justifiably so.
i will finish redaing your blog and post a decent coherent comment (i hope)
hope also to see you at the gym soon- although i have no doubt i will see you at rick young- i am getting excited alredy..
i have been on lun's blog, and enjoyed that too, but i couldnt leave a comment... ah well- i dont think i will set up a blog on here too- actually i mite just copy and ppaste... get the old redership upo, hahaha
ok take care, and hope you are having a good week

Anonymous said...

Hey!! i originally tried to post this comment on Lun's site, but it doesnt allow non-bloggers to comment... so joined up comment (essay)

To kit:
good blog- i have just finished reading it- i only read half then had to go to Steve's... it was nice to see you there, cheers for teaching me the Hindu squat!
I see what you are saying about the martial arts, but i know a lot of ppl my age and over who used to love playing football just dont anymore- because we have little time and opportunity (or cos the weather is so awful half the year, or cos we are purely lazy).
im just happy to be doing Something!
having said that, i wouldnt have learned many new things playing football, and i wouldnt be on the same path mentally as i am now without steve and dave (my tai chi teacher) perhaps i am on the path to mental ruin, but i would have been further down that road without their help, and i would have been fat too, hahaha!
I really cant express how much Training has changed my life! it is something that i only discovered through chris, and only a few years ago...
Cheers dude (i know u r gonna read this...hehehe)
ok this comment is gonna be too big to fit on your site if i write anymore, lol
SEE YA!


To Lun:
Aaargh!
you're gonna miss rick young? :c
i heard you say you might not be going away,i hope if that is the case that you will make it down...
well, good luck with your grade too- i am going to start working towards my next grade at steve's after rick young- i need to get my cross going, but i think with some private tuition from Chris, i will make it ... will perhaps skip the next grading if it is soon after rick young, as i feel i have a lot more to learn/remember in terms of flow and things like the hubud drills... flow is important!
ok sorry to go on- i will be gutted if i still cant comment...
i guess i will just post it on kit's site if that is the case....
:)
hahaha- i just read th end of my post, and right below it it says (on lun's site) 'this blog does not allow anonymous comments, hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Hey dude,
Was good to see you and Lun last night. An interesting class.... hu-bud number 7 always gets the brain going!! HAAHA!
Once again... top blog! Hows the training for the marathon going? Training has definately changed all of our lives... and I would like to think for the better.

Chris.. it does suck how we cant post on Lun's blog. Lun... sort it out! I hope to see you all soon, my brothers

Lun said...

http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJ_rQwc7uz7gs21i-nGPv2f8WavkgCLa7ZPLIYqFd4BpOfp_kdIx8xQg8C4t_5rxR1vT4C_yCoAtar23WxXGtZGmdq_lnHv5/DAMAG%20Inc/DAMAG%20INC%20Marc%20vs%20Jaime%20lowline%20entry.gif

Hey all
Have a look at the above, eskrima fighting with fencing helmets...

Lun said...

Ha...back in the 90's I learnt Hubud 5...and the rest...now I am re-learning it...no where is it more evident that repetition is key!

Lun said...

Hello all....I have updated my blog to allow all comments (I think!)

Anonymous said...

LOL!
hubud still pickles my swede- i will never get it i think... i am better, but i suppose that is all we can ever be... Not perfect.

Well, kk - i just popped in to say- kit, if you like System of a Down, you should check out Tool- if you havent already...
Not to everyone's taste, but worht a try.

ok i will be back to comment properly- and on lun's site too, but right now i need to go to bed