Friday, May 05, 2006

My week in Martial Arts:May 1st till May 5th


Hey All!

No, I didn’t train in the mountains of China, but the scenery shown in the picture is the cheddar gorge a beautiful place in Somerset England. I was there Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday visiting my girlfriend Elaine. So did I take a break from training? well yes and no, we walked up the famous Glastonbury Tor and Jacob’s ladder in Cheddar which are two great walks. So I did inadvertently get some exercise. Although in almost every city in the UK you are guaranteed the generic stores and places such as Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza Huts etc thus making every city virtually the same, Glastonbury was different. Leisurely walks, beautiful scenery this is the kind of jolly old England I have not seen much of growing up in a city. I had a really great time there with Elaine it was a great weekend!

Tuesday back to the training, I was at Capoeria and it was great! What started off as a humble little class of 2 to 3 people has now grown to around 12 to 13. We practiced kicks into cartwheels and lots and lots of kicks. We all played the game first slowly then quickly it was awesome to see Chris and LGM Chris from Steve Powell’s JKD there. As they treat it as an extended warm up to JKD. That’s not an insult by the way; it is because our style of Capoeira is very non contact therefore I think it’s a good martial art to compliment more physical ones.

Thursday I went for a run and did some knife stuff with my Eskrima instructor Simon. The stuff was cool as we learnt some strikes and disarms.

Friday was Warriors day. It was cool although Lun could not make it as he just got home from working in Belfast. But then again I only had one beginner (well not a beginner in Martial Arts) Paul who trained really well today. We did all the basic strikes, numerous stick drills, knife drills. Baz from the old days (as in when Warriors Eskrima was still being taught by Bob Melia ) was there and is an exceptional boxer and wrestler. He showed Ray and Paul Hinds some wrestling techniques as pictured demonstrating on Simon. A fellow level 6 guy Mike was also there and because I didn’t train with him and was too busy teaching the beginner Paul, I forgot he was actually there and questioned why he wasn’t there in the car park later!...I think I need more sleep!

Ok today I am keeping my weekly report short as I am going to the NEC Arena tomorrow for Seni 06. My friend Andrew Timmins is competing for Karl Tanswell’s Straight Blast Gym and I am going to be attending Pangulong Guro’s Krishna Godhania seminar while I am there and buying loads of stuff. It’s going to be awesome and yes I will do a write up with photos! (to make up for the lack of photos in this blog!)

Kit

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a photo of me and chris?? Well snipered Lun. My Aunt and uncle live right near Chedder gorge! It's a top place.
Hope you enjoy Seni! And goodluck to Mr Timmins

Lun said...

seni pics on the way...!

Anonymous said...

yeah, i hope you enjoy/ enjoyed Seni...
dont actually know what it is but i get the martial arts show sort of vibe...
capoeira in more than a warm - up it is a really good way to practice some of the stuff we dont get the chance to do (specifically)in the JKD- pure balance, rhythm, etc- some of the more ancilliary (i cant think of the proper word) aspects of the arts...

Well, it is my choshin kai weekend this week, so i hope to see you guys there- i dont know about capoiera this week.... we'll have to see.
and back to work means gay training times again too....