Saturday, April 29, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: April 22nd till April 29th


Ouch
Hi all my week started Saturday, I went to Chosin Kai Karate at Steve Powells Chinatown Martial Arts Academy. We basically did a lot of punching and pad work and it was a great. I really love the reverse punch but there is so much to it, I know a punch is a punch but the mechanics to really get the power is very important.

So much so I was really trying hard to get it right but punching the pad really hard has nothing to do with it as you need your bodyweight behind the power and get the WHOLE technique. Due to the crazy intensity of the punching the skin surrounding three of my knuckles began peeling off. I thought nothing of them at the time.

Sunday

I trained for my run to train for the Great Manchester Run. My good friend Andy Timmins ran with me, as well as running we discussed Martial Arts. We ran in this park called Brookdale in Manchester. We did 0.75 miles circuit about 5 times or so. We also attempted to do the 1 mile circuit but the explanation on the map led us to a track that suddenly disappeared onto a football field so we ran the 0.75 mile circuit some more. It was a good run work out. The skin on my knuckles was now flesh red.

Monday

On this morning when I went to work I noticed my knuckles were scarred. Ouch! I tried to hide them at work somehow but that was pretty hard working on PC’s. I explained to people I was punching a pad. “A pad?” was the usual reply. My response was “Yes”. It’s very interesting that there is such a large pool of Martial Artists at my work place we have one Aikido instructor, a TKD instructor and several TKD guys under him. Would I want to start a work Eskrima class? No not at the moment, my brother and I teach beginners in the Warriors Eskrima Salford branch under Simon Campion and if people are interested they can come to that one. Plus I like to separate my outside activities from my work activities. Later I went to the gym with Lun for a big heavy workout in the gym. Lun decided I should rest my hands (as in punching) and I agreed.

Tuesday

I went to Capoeira, it was extra cool as Chris and LGM Chris also attended and did quite well in their first lesson. (well LGM Chris did a bit before in the past). It’s great that the class has expanded from three regulars to around ten or eleven. Ken was also there and a one or two others who had Capoeira experience else where made it a great varied class.



Wednesday

I punched the pad to test my crazy scared knuckles “Oww” was my reply. Yup my fist was badly stinging so I had to give Steve Powell’s JKD class and Karl Tanswell’s a miss.
So my brother and I went to the gym and went through what we were going to teach on Friday and I did some running.

Thursday rest day,

Friday Warriors Eskrima day.

This time I took the warm up bit and my brother and I taught the beginners. We had a new guy called Paul who trains at Steve’s. It was cool he came as was enthusiastic to learn something different and it was cool he knew variations on things we were doing in class and he had a powerful jab (naturally being from Steve’s).

Gaz was there too and made good progress I partnered him so I could drill the siniwali/heaven six drills with him. There are 8 different combinations in this drill. Last week I taught him the first, today I taught him 3 more, which means he is picking up the art very quickly. Next week I am confident he will get the next 4 to complete the next 8 variations. We also got the guys doing the double handed kob-kob drills and some light stick sparring. John, Ray and Paul were also there. Simon taught me some advanced knife which was cool.

Teaching is fun, the coolest thing is seeing the improvement of people(I know I only been teaching 2 weeks and Gaz has had a few lessons prior) but knowing that you are teaching and seeing how well a student is listening and picking it up (which is totally due to the student’s dedication) is a great feeling.

Anyway thanks for reading and keep training!
Kit!

8 comments:

Lun said...

Ooo some nice action pics there. Its all good. I hope we made a nice account of ourselves. We will have to get down to Krishnas ourselves to brush up on what we know and keep on top and also to learn new stuff as well. We will need to arrange time with Si and Paul as well at some point. Man we will be BUSY!!

Lun said...

Oh and you spelt Chosin wrong, its Choshin....

Anonymous said...

Well corrected Lun!! ahahahaha!
Firstly, thankyou for the comment on my blog. Giving is most definately a huuge part of our existence, especially as Instructors.

Man! I know how those knuckles feel, I bled alot today at the boom class :D We did some stretching and started on some of the kicks aswell as all of the usual booming! I am glad that you are enjoying teaching. Watch this space for upcoming news of some courses I may be doing.....

Anonymous said...

yeah, that reverse punch is a tricky one, heheh
i my little finger (?!) is just about healed from the first class in april!
i wish i didnt have to work weekends and miss every other class- butat least i dint have to work away like Lun!
i am thankful for that at least...
not seen you at the class recently- apart from tuesday obviously.
i hope to catch you there this tuesday too, so look out!

which paul was it that came down to your escrima class (and the response should be 'come down and see').
i hope you are getting interest in your classes, guys! i will see about coming the possibility of coming down one time over the summer...
i will be mobing nearer to salford soon, so i will talk to you before that

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading all the aikido exercise for teaching and training information on your site. You can check out my aikido exercise for teaching and training site if you like.

Anonymous said...

You have a great site here on florida karate. I also run a florida karate site that you and your visitors may find interesting.

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE