Saturday, January 21, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: January 13th 06 to January 20th 06



Hi All

Friday: 6.50 pm the car clock glared, this was the time I was on the motorway on the way to Warriors Eskrima …. “I am going to miss it.” I thought to myself “Damn it” I had just been in a meeting with my most senior manager which made me late for the class but it was a necessary meeting.

I walked onto the viewing area above the court and started filming the lesson for screenshots in my work clothes, I didn’t feel like it drained from my meeting and the frustration of being late sapped my enthusiasm….Simon shouted “You not coming down Kit?” I replied “Nah, we only got ten minutes or so”
I then went downstairs and filmed about 5 minutes before my urges took over so I went got changed…….


Well what a week as reported earlier I went to the gym, Karl Tanswell’s class and Capoeira this week before getting the old leg pull. On Sunday I went to the gym with Lun and we did bench press and worked biceps and shoulders. We also did some stick sparring techniques that we learnt the previous Friday. In fact we made sure we had a good work out as Lun had to travel out for work again but only for a week.

Monday, I went to a Karl Tanswell’s Straight Blast Gym which was great. I trained with this guy called Carl, who helped me out a lot on technique we did punching combinations and guards into a
clinch entry. Again it was very good how Karl built up the lesson slowly from the first part of which would lead up to the final technique.

“How’s your fitness Kit?” Karl asked, as he might have noticed I was out of breath on one or two occasions but not more so than I used to. “Its OK its good to train with different partners to keep up the fitness” Karl coolly replied “Yeah, I am with ya, bro”. It’s great to get feedback and talk a bit with your instructors at the end of the lesson.


Tuesday Capoeira!It was great to be back and to be playing the game. I was used as the demo guy as Danny Henry was showing various moves to two new students. We practiced defences and some complex attacks. The two new girls picked a lot of the moves..but I also picked up a leg pull.

I felt it a bit during the lesson but really felt at work the next day towards the end of work. Therefore I took a rest on Wednesday. I spoke to Wellington a colleague who I said practices Aikido in my last blog, correction not only does he practices but he is an actual instructor in Aikido. This means my work place has a TKD instructor and one Aikido instructor; hopefully I can join them as an Eskrima Instructor this year.


Even though I am on the path of becoming an instructor in one style in Warriors Eskrima I must gain more knowledge in other systems of Eskrima. Therefore I am going to go to Steve Powell’s Eskrima class on Saturdays as many times as possible as well as carrying on my regular Eskrima class.


Thursday I decided to rest my leg or I would have gone to Steve Powell’s JKD class. However I spent most of the night trying to dry the carpet floor as my water based punching bag “Everlast Power Tower” sprung a leak…doh!

….7.10pm at the Warriors Eskrima class on Friday, I just got changed and missed the majority of the lesson. However Simon and I did some Palakaw freestyle stick sparring. It was awesome because Simon kind of flew at me with a bunch of moves that made me work harder. We did some empty hand vs. Stick and we also did some empty hand and some focus mitt work. I worked hard for fifty minutes or so (Simon added about half an hour onto the lesson) and had a great work out, one I thing I will say about tonight is that I really need to work on my punches when hitting the focus mitts.. Again I need to practice the power stuff that I learnt at Steve Powell’s .


So what was turning to be a quiet week in Martial Arts turned out to be a good week
“See, you got a good work out it’s a good thing you joined us in the end” Simon told me.
“Yeah it was great” I replied.

Please enjoy pictures all from the Warriors Eskrima class and take care!

Keep Training Kit!

1 comment:

Lun said...

ooo have a look at one of the tapes we got, Tommy Thompson boxing, its on the sun style / way of the warrior tape if you want to check it out