Saturday, January 21, 2006

My Week in Martial Arts continued....Saturday 21st Jan 06


Maybe I should hold out writing my blog till Saturday, as today I went to Steve Powell’s Weapons lesson with my brother Lun who was itching to get back. Saw Greg Hall there who gave my Hong Kong Phooey T shirt I was wearing for training a thumbs up! Chris was there as well as LGM (who in reality is also called Chris but he uses that name to avoid confusing with him with his friend).
During the lesson, my brother and I picked up the things similar to our own system but the system here has different drills. In the Warriors Eskrima we do variations of heaven six but at Steve’s we did variations of the heaven six into other combinations, for example thrusting, umbrella and double wrapping. We also did other double stick drills that were all fun but for my brother and I we will have to work on them. Heaven Six is a stick drill comprising of six strikes using two sticks. Click on this link to Steve Powell’s JKD site to read more about the heaven six drill.

I will practice these drills as much as possible with my brother as its good to widen your knowledge of different arts. The stuff that was new to me I couldn’t pick up straight away so it’s just a matter of lots of practice but it was another great work out and I am glad I went.

Steve was really funny today; he knows all the best Cantonese words (the rude ones). It’s good to train hard in a fun atmosphere!
Thanks for reading!
Keep Training
Kit

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evening Kit! Yeah, stick class was top! I hate having to demo weapons on a saturday morning though :)
As for the pad work... as you will know, power comes from technique! That is what Chris and I were working more than anything... the technique!

Lun said...

Technique is key, no doubt once thats all down, the rest is a bit easier....

all those heaven 6 drills...good stuff eh? glad we went bro! got to make 'em 2nd nature like our palisut / palakaw drills etc! steve is the best!

Kit said...

Hi Chris
I think you did quite well demo-ing the weapons,they were quite complex drills.
Yeah I gotta work on my technique in my power for sure! You guys seem to have got that down!
See ya next week!

Kit said...

Hi Lun
Yeah we got to practice them in the gym or when you come over!
See you soob.
Kiy

Lun said...

yeah Chris that is one powerful front kick....your demo-ing is fine
, its hard work!
Kit..we will do that umbrella drill soon and that half beat one...

Anonymous said...

Hey Kit!
Thanks very much for your comment... it is nice when ppl see past the image and realise there is a little more underneath..
it is other ppl's loss though- and it takes ppl with a certain outlook to get me... i am not saying i am god's gift or anything like that- i just dont really want attetion from ppl who think your image is everything...
Chris helps me a lot with my technique- partnering with him has helped me a lot because it is like having a mini steve there to correct all the little things..
love the heaven six variations, my faves are definintely the umbrella ones... BOOM!!
anyway, hope this week is another good one for you.. just allow your mind to wander and eventually i think it will lead you to a solution for your box problem... i know mine is out there somewhere, but i am young yet, and still very much a dreamer... when i get grounded a little bit, i think i will see more clearly where i want to go....
anyway, alll the best, and i hope to see you again soon
LGM

Kit said...

LGM
No problem!I had the same problem in my late teens and early 20's the friends I had that all rely on image (and let me assure you there are way too many these fickle people I used to know in the British Born Chinese Community)(Don't worry politically correct people,I am a British born Chinese and not being racist)
They take everything at face value because they are too shallow to see on the inside. LGM forget them just concerntrate on yourself and you will do cool!
See ya in the gym!