Saturday, January 28, 2006

My week in Martial Arts: January 23rd 06 to January 27th 06


"Adversity is Beneficial to us- Prosperity is apt to prevent us from examining our conduct: but adversity leads us to think properly of our state, and so is beneficial to us"-Bruce Lee From the book Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee’s Wisdom for Daily Living Tuttle Publishing.

I started with that quote as an inspiration for some people going through tough times. I know some people reading this blog are going through tough times professionally and I would like to address them, as I too can identify with them. I go through peaks and troughs at work (last year was mostly troughs). That’s when I had to do something about it.

I had to do something because my confidence was waning. I was beginning not to believe in myself because I was feeling down in my job. So one of the things I did was write this blog, I wrote it as a release and to maybe inspire people and give similar people something to read. This is one of the best things I have ever done so far. I have encouraged people who were thinking about joining a club to actually attend a Martial Arts lesson, I have had emails from all over the World and the biggest accolade is that several of my instructors and family and friends read my blog. In fact for the first time in my life I found that what I did outside of work was more mentally fulfilling. People who have known me a long time knew that I used to stay behind at my (old) work place until late and commit myself to the job. But now I am committing myself to practicing the various Martial Arts and writing my blog after work. I only commit myself to my job in the workplace and that’s it.

I would like to write that “and since then my job improved and I got promoted” but no since then it’s been only slightly different in work. Peaks and troughs, like before but it’s different now because probably I am maturing into the role. Today is mostly peaks and troughs, but now more peaks then usual. But I am not going to rest until I successfully fight out of my corner. By doing more positive things outside work is helping my performance in work… a lot.

To all those facing adversity now, it’s all happening for a reason. It’s happening because adversity is asking you to look in the mirror and ask a bunch of questions. It’s happening because your heart is telling you something else. It’s happening because you don’t belong where you are and it’s up to you to break out or fight for your place. Everything is happening for a reason, think about what’s going on now and think about the future and where you really want to be. But at the same time don’t dwell on adversity, harness and channel it and turn it into something positive.

If you take Bruce Lee for example, the adversity he must have taken from TV executives who didn't beleive a chinese actor could make it, the adversity from the old school Gung Fu master who opposed his ideas of teaching westerners his art. He overcame all that because the above quote was one of his wisdoms. Find out what you really want to do in life and be truly, something absolutely you are truly happy doing so much that you wish you did what you did 7 days a week rather than hating 5. That’s my ultimate ideal and I hope to all those feeling down ,you will find yours.

I had to deviate from the usual weekly blog format because this week I couldn’t get to Steve Powell’s JKD class or Karl Tanswell’s Straight Blast Gym and I needed to write that for my own release and some of the readers of my blog. However read on for this week’s adventures!


This week I only had two lessons; Tuesday I had Capoeira class with Danny Henry, yes I was used as “demo boy” again, demonstrating various moves with Danny. But luck would have it that Ken also showed up who has been practicing longer than me. So we shared demo duties although Danny split the class up so Ken and I did some advanced stuff, while the beginners did the basics. While playing the game I noticed two new girls have vastly improved. It’s cool when people can pick up an art fast.

Wednesday I couldn’t make it to Karl’s due to the fact I needed to be at home, so I updated my blog and yes I did feel that horrible empty feeling you get when you don’t train. Thursday, Lun was unfortunately out with a bad back and I couldn’t get to Steve Powell’s due to the fact that I had to be home earlier so I went to the gym. I bumped into my Eskrima instructor Simon, I sneaked up on him, well stood right behind him when he was talking to the gym receptionist.

After some what surprising him (and it’s a good thing he hasn’t got a bad temper) Simon asked “Wanna do some gym with me”. I eventually agreed and being the fitness fanatic he has become (working on campus enables him to go gym twice a day) he put me through some rigorous gym work topped off by a run (which completely knackered me). “That will teach ya to sneak up on me”, it certainly did.

Friday was Warriors Eskrima day, we did hubud, single stick drills and I was going through the sumbrada drill with Ray-who is technically a beginner but fights like an advance guy, we also did 2 on 1 disarms and locks. It was a great lesson. Lun also attended but his back still gave him slight problems. Get better soon Lun!



So only two lessons and a crazy gym day this week, hopefully next week is going to be better. I left my DV camera at home this morning so the action pictures today were taken by my mobile. The first picture is of me filming a class (which I didn’t do today!) but I do almost every week.

Keep training and enjoy the pictures!
Kit!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words man... and good choice of quote! I do strongly believe that it is time to chase the dream

Anonymous said...

I forgot to wish you guys Happy New Year... unfortunately I am working so cannot make it to the celebrations

Gung Hai Fat Choi!

Lun said...

Hey Chris
Thanks for the wishes, Happy Chinese New Year to you.

Lun said...

Kit your blog is really inspirational, keep it up...I look up to you and all your efforts!

Kit said...

Hi Chris, Thanks!I think one of the most important things in life is your own self belief and I hope your dream becomes your life.
Gung Hei Fat Choi to you too!
Kit!

Kit said...

Hi Lun
Thanks,but I look up to you because after all you are my big brother and got me into Martial Arts in the first place!
see you soob!
Kit

Anonymous said...

thanks for your encouraging words, kit!
this is a good blog...
i like your analogy of fighting out of the corner- it sounds very much like how i have felt at some times in my life- like you are taking punishment, and you cant get on top of life...
you dont need just to start throwing back- you need to make that effort to get into the middle of the ring- make a fair fight out of it...
thanks man- i think that you have helped me on the way to making a life changing decision...
gung hai fat choi!
LGM